- On December 19, 2019
With 2020 just over the horizon, B2B companies around the globe are busy adding the final touches to next year’s marketing strategies.
With this in mind, Gorilla has cherry-picked 12 of the most interesting B2B marketing stats & trends seen during 2019. Your 2020 strategy will thank you!
1. 58% of B2B marketers pay to advertise on search engines, and believe it is the most effective paid digital marketing method (Source)
The Takeaway: Attention spans are getting shorter, and nobody wants to be sifting through pages and pages of results to get to you. If you’re not utilising search engine ad space, your competition certainly is.
2. 94% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn for content distribution (Source)
The Takeaway: It’s no secret LinkedIn has essentially become B2B Facebook. 80% of B2B social media leads come from LinkedIn – so make the most of your LinkedIn page, or watch this steady stream of B2B leads slip through your fingers.
3. 50% of LinkedIn users say they are more likely to purchase from a company they interact with on LinkedIn (Source)
The Takeaway: Trust has always been a factor when deciding who to buy from. Ever-increasing online noise has made brand trust more far important than ever before. No wonder major B2B vendors are switching focus from product-marketing to brand-marketing in 2020.
4. 46% of B2B marketers state that professional quality photography is critical (Source)
The Takeaway: A picture tells a thousand words, so let imagery tell your brand’s story. When people take in information, they’re likely to only remember 10% of it 3 days later. Pair it with a relevant image, and retention shoots up to 90% (Source).
However, imagery that is blurry or irrelevant comes across as unprofessional, meaning your audience is far more likely to simply dismiss your brand.
5. Over 200 million people use Ad Blockers (Source)
The Takeaway: Due to pushy marketing tactics, relentless tracking and intense retargeting no matter where you go, many consumers have turned to ad blockers whilst online. Nobody is more acutely aware of this than B2B professionals, so keep your marketing efforts short, sweet, and to-the-point in 2020.
6. Half of B2B marketers see producing consistent, quality content as their top marketing challenge (Source)
The Takeaway: Content is still king – quality, meaningful content that is. If creating compelling content was easy, everyone would become a thought leader. And what happens when everyone’s a thought leader? Correct – no one’s a thought leader.
B2B thought leaders stand out by creating distinctive content with detailed, first-hand research. More often than not, they have a fully-fleshed out content marketing plan encompassing blogs, socials, infographics – you name it. Take note!
7. B2B Professionals state lack of budget (59%) and the inability to reach the right people at the right time (39%) as their biggest obstacles (Source)
The Takeaway: When businesses skimp on their marketing budget, they risk quickly stagnating & falling into irrelevance. By allocating more budget to a proven, comprehensive marketing strategy, you’re almost guaranteed to increase sales, leads & ROI.
8. Over 30% of marketers think voice search is the next big trend, however 60% have no idea how to incorporate it into their business strategy. (Source)
The Takeaway: Embrace long-tail keywords, question-based keywords and local SEO to get a jumpstart on voice search. Be sure to optimise for snippets, as smart speakers usually read these first.
9. A single bad experience on a website makes users 88% less likely to visit the site again. (Source)
The Takeaway: Take a good look at your company website – how does it compare to competitors? If your website is slow, buggy, or looks like it was made in 2007, chances are you’re shooting your own web presence in the foot.
Take the time in 2020 to create a functional, UX-based website that empowers your buyers, rather than hold them back.
10. 1 in 3 B2B marketing professionals believe finding new hires who are trained in content marketing is more difficult than ever. (Source)
The Takeaway: Content marketing is becoming increasingly valuable going into 2020, so train your marketing dept. accordingly. Creatively-poised marketing copy combined with stunning graphics & visuals is a winning combo that will get B2B buyers to take a second look.
11. The average person will only spend around 37 seconds reading your article. (Source)
The Takeaway: Keep it short and sweet. Use formatting to make it scannable, and try not to include unnecessary fluff.
12. 22% of smartphone users worldwide use their device every 5 minutes (Source)
The Takeaway: By spreading your content wide and often, you’re far more likely to make the most out of your marketing touchpoints. Due to the time-sensitive nature of social media, little and often is far better than starting big & fizzling out quickly.
If you need a second opinion on your marketing strategy for 2020 and beyond, Gorilla are the B2B marketing experts with years of channel development experience for vendors and partners alike. Get in touch by clicking here.